How to cook Tim Blair, Andrew Bolt, and Patrick Michaels
1. Place Blair, Bolt, and Michaels in a large, water-filled pot equipped with a step ladder they can use to escape at any time. Set initial water temperature at average levels.
BLAIR/BOLT/MICHAELS: We're quite comfortable, thank you!!
2. Increase temperature to an unambigous, new historic high.
BLAIR/BOLT/MICHAELS: No big deal! Not going to last!
MICHAELS: Want to bet it won't be this warm again?
3. Drop temperature back down, but still far above average.
BLAIR/BOLT/MICHAELS: See!! Vindication!! There is no potboiler warming! Not a problem!
4. Gradually increase temperature to near or above the historic high.
BLAIR/BOLT/MICHAELS: We deny it's above the historic high! Deny it!
MICHAELS: And, uh, the bet offer is withdrawn.
5. Keep temperature very high, but a tiny bit below Step 4.
BLAIR/BOLT/MICHAELS: The science behind potboiler warming is bogus, and we'll stay here for as long as it takes to prove it!
BLAIR: I'm not feeling hot - crank it up, people!
BOLT: Me neither!
6. Repeat Steps 2 through 5 until done. Don't worry, they won't use the step ladder to get out. Process will be sped by the fact that their brains were already cooked.
Please, please, please, may some denialist point out to me that we haven't yet repeated Step 2 - just be prepared to put your money where your mouth is about what will happen in the near future.
(Hat tip: Deltoid.)
2006 UPDATE: From RealClimate:
Most bizarre new contrarian claim:So we have repeated steps 2 through 5, multiple times.
"Global warming stopped in 1998".
By the same logic, it also stopped in 1973, 1983, and 1990 (only it didn't)